The rest of the stay at the hospital is really a blur. I wouldn't call it uneventful - it was full of learning about counting carbs and dosing insulin and giving injections and hand washing and all the others things the parent of a child with diabetes needs to know. The highlights of those two days are the personal aspects, obviously.
We spent a lot of time in the playroom. We had a visit from Michelle, Andy, Caden, and Jackie after that long first day. They brought cards for ivy, and a pillow pet. Most special to me were the things that were brougt from work.
Michelle and I work in an independent living facility. When residents are out o the building in the hospital or rehab, we have big cards the other residents sign for them. The reisidents had made a card for ivy. My heart melted. Then I opened up a card from Michelle and a card from a resident that has two grown sons that both have cystic fibrosis. The fact that they are both still alive is literally a miracle in my eyes. The card from this resident meant so much to me, because although her sons received a different diagnosis than we had, in a way she had been in my shoes, they had been in ivy's and they all went on to thrive.
Julie stopped by the next day, too. It was nice to see familiar faces. My phone was constantly ringing or buzzing with calls and texts asking how we were and seeing if we needed anything. Ivy's teacher, her babysitter, family, friends, colleagues from work, even the school principal called. I learned so much in those two days about how to care for ivy and this new thing that was now a part of her. But the most important thing I learned is that I have a support system that I didn't realize was there. I have people to lean on, people to cry to and people to reach out to when I need help.
No comments:
Post a Comment